Thursday, May 27, 2010

Delicious murder?

Yesterday I ran by a house. Its a house I run by everyday, and I've never really looked at it before. But yesterday I ran by a house and I looked at it.

The house is locally famous now. A person who was staying there was questioned, early Tuesday morning, regarding the disappearance of a local woman. And he ran away from the cops, toward an elementary school, with a gun in his hand. The NLR police department shot and killed him. And you can't tell that anything ever happened.

I've been out of sorts since this happened. My thoughts are all scattered, and I don't guess they are coming together anytime soon. On the one hand, there's the seriousness of the issue. A man is dead, whether he was a suspected criminal or not, and that should matter. A person is a person, and a life is a life. On the other hand, there's the black humor:

*Guess I know my neighborhood really is safe. We shoot suspected murderers, after all.
* Don't antagonize NLRPD. They will put a cap in yo' ass.
* NLRPD: We're armed, and we love to shoot!
*What does it say about the local police that it took 5 of them simply to question someone?

The weirdest part is, I think this whole incident really just convinced me to go back to vegetarianism. I guess its because I've been thinking about the value of life, and does some life have more merit than other life? And if the answer is no, I need to stop eating meat and if the answer is yes, then I'm pretty sure an innocent cow comes before a murderer and I still need to stop eating meat.

So, hello, vegetarian food! I actually kind of missed you.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST REPRESENTS THE OPINION OF THE MANAGEMENT. IT IS ONLY AN OPINION, NOT A JUDGMENT. I. AM. NOT. JUDGING. YOU. THE MANAGEMENT IS AWARE THAT MEAT IS AWFULLY TASTY, AND OTHER PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERING OPINIONS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS THOSE OPINIONS. BUT REMEMBER: TOTALLY NOT JUDGING YOU.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That would be really disturbing to find out this happened in your own town....scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, plants are murderers too. Fighting for the sunlight! They just do it differently than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize there is also a flaw in my logic because technically a plant also has a life. But I can't not eat, and plants make me feel less guilty.

    I have no problem with the circle of life, I just know that my place in it can be different than it is.

    We're all just trying to live with ourselves, in the end. And I can't ignore that for whatever reasons, it bothers me to eat meat. It probably doesn't hurt that my body actually tries to forcibly eject meat when I do eat it, or that it makes me nauseous to cook with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH! *air punch* Good for you.

    Yes, survival dictates that organisms must fight and kill for survival. However, 99% of meat eating humans have the luxury of not having to deal with that part. It gets a little fuzzy when slaughterhouses and fast food restaurants are part of the circle of life.

    That's the first and last time I'll ever get preachy about meat. I'm gonna go hide under a pillow now.

    ReplyDelete